FOCUS

“So,” asked Julia as we continued our conversation of last week, “if teaching is tough, how do you keep at it?  Don’t you get tired of it, of us?”

“I focus,” I answered.  “You don’t know the power of focusing although you use it and don’t realize it.  It’s a heart skill that too many people ignore and don’t learn.  But, it’s not just focus; it’s the kind of focus and on what I focus that’s important;  it’s the kind of focus that sends out caring rather than anger, encouragement rather than frustration, connection rather than disinterest, commitment rather than fear, and community rather than strangerness.”

I told her that focus tames frenzy; it applies brakes; it gives you a sense that you’re not out of control; it organizes your mind and heart.  When I’m focusing, I’m not caring about students in a class; I see the class as a gathering of “sacred ones;” I hear that angel reminding me that each one is created in the image of the divine; I’m caring about one person, one at a time.  It’s an unconditional, locking in kind of focusing:  believing in focusing; having faith in focusing; having hope for focusing; loving focusing.  And, that is an uplifting, invigorating, recharging, and inspiring focus for me.  When I focus I’m abiding by my “Ten Commandments of Teaching” and my “Teacher’s Oath;”  when I focus she or he is important to me; I notice her or him; I’m there to help her or him become the person she or he is capable of becoming, often to help her or him change the way she or he is looking at her/himself and life.  It’s a determined focus that gives me an effective focus, a purposeful focus, an empowering focus.  I told her that it’s both a state of mind and of heart.  It’s a filtering state that allows me to know on what to concentrate, and what to ignore.  That way, there’s little to distract me, little to throw me off track, little to frustrate me, little to annoy me.

“But, how do you do that for all of us at one time.  God, you must get uptight a lot, concentrating so much. Don’t you get drained?” she said in surprise.

“No, not really” I answered.  I told her that my focus is not an uptight focusing.  Sure, I’m moving my spotlight from person to person, and my eyes are in a state of conscious REM.  But, it’s not like I’m a stalking, muscles taut predator about to pounce on some unwary prey..  It is an intent and it is an intense boring in on one student, but at the same time it’s a relaxed reading of every student.  I focus to understand, not command; to teach with each student, not to teach to each of them;  I don’t work for the university; I work with each student.  It means to break barriers, build bridges, create connect, establish community.  That’s important because strengthening connection with students, eliminating “strangerness” and “aloneness” is the best way to help them achieve.  That means I have to be awake, alert, aware, attentive, attuned, alive, mindful, and to have a strong sense of otherness.  It’s an easy stillness, a still inner energy. No anger, no frustration, no anxiety, no disappointment, no fear.  Just opportunity for improvement, understanding, preparation, care, purpose.   No bouncing around like a ping-pong ball; no uncertainty, no desperation, no frantic, no “this-or-else.”  Focus and relaxed are not antonyms.  Focus and burnout are.  The way I focus makes me relaxed and not worrying about being careless.  It’s not a boxing match.  It’s a dance.  It’s a focus on both self and other in a way that creates and maintains a connection.  I told that if I don’t know yourself and am honest with myself, how can I decide who I should become; if I don’t know what I am, how can I figure out where to go; and if I don’t know my talents and abilities, how can I know what to do.  In this state of focus, trivial outside events do not have the power to distract or annoy me. They lose their “tug ability.”  I simply accept them, ignore them, move past them, and continue working on what’s truly important to me.  I just pay attention, close attention, not just to what I’m doing and what each student is doing.  I carefully see his or eyes, I see his or her face, I listen to her or his body language.

In fact, as an aside, I told her that focus is my best form of evaluating what I’m doing in class.  I don’t really look at the end of the term questionnaires. If anything, they’re too late.  But, to see and read the eyes, face, and body every day.  They’re the best on the spot evaluation; they offer the real shot at flexible, on-time adjustment and adaptability.

“How do you stay focused through everything,” Julia asked.

“Well, lots of ways.  I take one day at a time.  Right now I’m focused on today.  For example, are you still using the ‘uplifting word for today’ I taught you? I asked

“Yes.”

“Great!  Is it working?” I asked.

“Well, it helps me see the good stuff all around.  I pull a card and think about what I can do to live that word that day.  It’s like writing a script that’s telling me what my attitude should be and how I should act no matter what happens.  It’s hard.  I know, before you say it, it’s hard that makes it important.  If it was easy, I wouldn’t be bettering myself.  Today my word is ‘happy.’  So, I’m being happy about lots of things; I find ways to be happy; and I see the reasons to be happy, like talking with you.”

“That’s called focus.  I do it, too.  Today my word is ‘smile.’  And, talking with you is reason to smile.  Do you exercise?”  I then asked.”

“Yes.”

“That’s another way,” I told her.  I explained that my pre-dawn walks, for example, give me a break from yesterday, recharge my batteries, and help start the next day fresh.  It’s a mobile meditation that keeps me at ease and centered.  Still another way is not to take back-to-back classes.  I refused to teach that way.  You and I need a quiet place where and when we have getting down time and getting up time.  Our brain and heart need a shift.  We shouldn’t be in a desperate, rushing, frantic, helter-skelter.  During those depressurizing breaks I stroll the campus, talk with students, blow bubbles, sip a cup of coffee, close my eyes while sitting on a bench, take deep breaths, watch and listen to the birds, look at the bushes and flowers, imagine the students in the upcoming class, organize and prepare both my heart and mind.   All that allows me to shift gears, to exit one state of focus while entering another, to let go of one class and reset myself for the next one.  I also have developed a conscious sense of myself.  That means I’m aware of my emotions, both positive and negative, and fight to make sure I hold tightly to the former and that it far outweighs the latter–and not let the latter get to me.  And finally, I have an end-of-the-day  glass of wine, a piece of cheese with my Susie during out ‘just to’ getaway time.  “And when I’m with her, I know all is right with the world and I set myself right.”

“I’ve got another question,” Julia said.  “Don’t you miss us?”

My answer is the last part of our conversation.  After I come back from Hawaii.

Louis

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts by Louis Schmier. Bookmark the permalink.

About Louis Schmier

LOUIS SCHMIER “Every student should have a person who wants to help him or her help himself or herself become the person he or she is capable of becoming, and I’ll be damned if I am ever going to let one human being fall through the cracks in my classes without a fight.” How about a snapshot of myself. But, what shall I tell you about me? Something personal? Something philosophical? Something pedagogical? Something scholarly? Nah, I'll dispense with that resume stuff. Since I believe everything we do starts from who we are inside, what we believe, what we perceive, and what we do is an extension of ourselves, how about if I first say some things about myself. Then, maybe, I can ease into other things. My name is Louis Schmier. The first name rhymes with phooey, the last with beer. I am a 76 year old - in body, but not in mind or spirit - born and bred New Yorker who came south in 1963. I met by angelic bride, Susie, on a reluctant blind date at Chapel Hill. We've been married now going on 51 years. We have two marvelous sons. One is a VP at Samsung in San Francisco. The other is an artist with food and is an executive chef at a restaurant in Nashville, Tn. And, they have given us three grandmunchkins upon whom we dote a bit. I power walk 7 miles every other early morning. That’s my essential meditative “Just to …” time. On the other days, I exercise with weights to keep my upper body in shape. I am an avid gardener. I love to cook on my wok. Loving to work with my hands as well as with my heart and mind, I built a three room master complex addition to the house. And, I am a “fixer-upper” who allows very few repairmen to step across the threshold. Oh, by the way, I received my A.B. from then Adelphi College, my M.A. from St. John's University, and my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I have been teaching at Valdosta State University in Georgia since 1967. Having retired reluctantly in December, 2012, I currently hold the rank of Professor of History, Emeritus. I prefer the title, “Teacher”. Twenty-five years ago, I had what I consider an “epiphany”. It changed my understanding of myself. I stopped professoring and gave up scholarly research and publication to devote all my time and energy to student. My teaching has taken on the character of a mission. It is a journey that has taken me from seeing only myself to a commitment to vision larger than myself and my self-interest. I now believe that being an educator means I am in the “people business”. I now believe that the most essential element in education is caring about people. Education without caring, without a real human connection, is as viable as a person with a brain but without a heart. So, when I am asked what I teach, I answer unhesitatingly, “I teach students”. I am now more concerned with the students’ learning than my teaching, more concerned with the students as human beings than with the subject. I am more concerned with reaching for students than reaching the height of professional reputation. I believe the heart of education is to educate the heart. The purpose of teaching is to instill in all students genuine, loving, lifelong eagerness to learn and foster a life of continual growth and development. It should encourage and assist students in developing the basic values needed for learning and living: self-discipline, self-confidence, self-worth, integrity, honesty, commitment, perseverance, responsibility, pursuit of excellence, emotional courage, creativity, imagination, humility, and compassion for others. In April, 1993, I began to share ME on the internet: my personal and professional rites of passage, my beliefs about the nature and purpose of an education, a commemoration of student learning and achievement, my successful and not so successful experiences, a proclamation of faith in students, and a celebration of teaching. These electronic sharings are called “Random Thoughts”. There are now over 1000 of them floating out there in cyberspace. The first 185, which chronicles the beginnings of my journey, have been published as collections in three volumes, RANDOM THOUGHTS: THE HUMANITY OF TEACHING, RANDOM THOUGHTS, II: TEACHING FROM THE HEART, RANDOM THOUGHTS, III: TEACHING WITH LOVE, and RANDOM THOUGHTS, IV: THE PASSION OF TEACHING. The chronicle of my continued journey is available in an Ebook on Amazon's Kindle in a volume I call FAITH, HOPE, LOVE: THE SPIRIT OF TEACHING. There a few more untitled volumes in the works..