Infrastructure

We are witnessing a failure of infrastructure. No, not the electrical blackout in the northeast. I’m talking about something darker: the regrettably “Bliss-fulness” of collegiate sports. It is something that must concern each and every one of us and from which we should not and cannot hide in the proverbial pristine ivory tower. I am talking about our explicit or implicit, vocal or tacit support of the high-roller, high stakes, high-risk, high-reward rackets of high school and collegiate sports that tolerate–and even often abet–cheating, criminality, lying, bribing, intimidation, cover-up, hypocrisy, and all manners of corruption. I’m talking about hordes of supposedly educated, “should-know-better” academics and non-academics who are prostituting themselves for a slice in a multi-billion dollar high school and collegiate sports industry. Above all, I am talking about a refusal to accept personal responsibility and blaming it all on the devil of the system.

Unless we choose to respond to moral and ethical misdeeds with courage, integrity and honor, our individual and collective morality actually gets weaker, and we all become larger partners in high school and collegiate athletic crime.

Almost everyone is screaming to change the system in ways that acknowledge and accept what is, that the cheating becomes cheating no longer, student-athletes are no longer students, amateurs are no longer amateurs. Many want to submit to what the system has become rather than fight to make it what it should be. It’s the same ole, same ole. Everyone wants to change the system because no one wants to change themselves. It is wishful thinking to think that things will change without us changing. We make our own bed and then act as victims when we sleep in it–and continue to sleep in it. To paraphrase Pogo, we blame the system and the system is us. So, I say we first have to change ourselves, for nothing will change until we each change.

Unless we can handle that simple truth, unless we hold ourselves accountable, unless we understand and accept the role our choices play in the things that happen throughout collegiate sports, we are emotionally and morally immature. We live in the child’s world of “It got lost” rather than walk in the adult world of “I lost it.” No one improves anything by failing to take responsibility. To the contrary, the failure to assume responsibility is to surrender our ability to respond to circumstances, to choose our attitudes and actions and reactions, and to shape our lives. That is little more than self-imposed servitude–even slavery–to circumstances and other people.

The fundamental problem, then, is not the infrastructure of high school and collegiate sports. The seminal problem is the infrastructure within each of us. We have neglected our own infrastructure! Temptation is invited through the door that we have deliberately left open, and we have supped with it over a ten course dinner. Someone once said that we are each living on the honor system, that we are each responsible for our own moral decisions, that we each weigh the consequences of our behavior, that the results of our moral actions are with us everyday, and that the results of our ethical choices play themselves out every day both in our inner and outer worlds.

We have not taken good care of integrity, authenticity, honesty, trustworthiness, trustworthiness, fairness, responsibility, morality, ethics. That is critical, for, to paraphrase Pogo, the system is us. We allow the compromising system to compromise us only because we already have compromised ourselves, and have thereby compromised the system.

It’s true we each are only one. Nevertheless, we each are one. The fact we each are only one shouldn’t prevent each of us from doing what we each can do to break this vicious circle. This situation needs each of us to do something. If we each don’t heed Edmund Burke and if we each keep on silently doing nothing, collegiate sports will continue to be even more “Bliss-ful.”

Make it a good day.

–Louis–

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts by Louis Schmier. Bookmark the permalink.

About Louis Schmier

LOUIS SCHMIER “Every student should have a person who wants to help him or her help himself or herself become the person he or she is capable of becoming, and I’ll be damned if I am ever going to let one human being fall through the cracks in my classes without a fight.” How about a snapshot of myself. But, what shall I tell you about me? Something personal? Something philosophical? Something pedagogical? Something scholarly? Nah, I'll dispense with that resume stuff. Since I believe everything we do starts from who we are inside, what we believe, what we perceive, and what we do is an extension of ourselves, how about if I first say some things about myself. Then, maybe, I can ease into other things. My name is Louis Schmier. The first name rhymes with phooey, the last with beer. I am a 76 year old - in body, but not in mind or spirit - born and bred New Yorker who came south in 1963. I met by angelic bride, Susie, on a reluctant blind date at Chapel Hill. We've been married now going on 51 years. We have two marvelous sons. One is a VP at Samsung in San Francisco. The other is an artist with food and is an executive chef at a restaurant in Nashville, Tn. And, they have given us three grandmunchkins upon whom we dote a bit. I power walk 7 miles every other early morning. That’s my essential meditative “Just to …” time. On the other days, I exercise with weights to keep my upper body in shape. I am an avid gardener. I love to cook on my wok. Loving to work with my hands as well as with my heart and mind, I built a three room master complex addition to the house. And, I am a “fixer-upper” who allows very few repairmen to step across the threshold. Oh, by the way, I received my A.B. from then Adelphi College, my M.A. from St. John's University, and my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I have been teaching at Valdosta State University in Georgia since 1967. Having retired reluctantly in December, 2012, I currently hold the rank of Professor of History, Emeritus. I prefer the title, “Teacher”. Twenty-five years ago, I had what I consider an “epiphany”. It changed my understanding of myself. I stopped professoring and gave up scholarly research and publication to devote all my time and energy to student. My teaching has taken on the character of a mission. It is a journey that has taken me from seeing only myself to a commitment to vision larger than myself and my self-interest. I now believe that being an educator means I am in the “people business”. I now believe that the most essential element in education is caring about people. Education without caring, without a real human connection, is as viable as a person with a brain but without a heart. So, when I am asked what I teach, I answer unhesitatingly, “I teach students”. I am now more concerned with the students’ learning than my teaching, more concerned with the students as human beings than with the subject. I am more concerned with reaching for students than reaching the height of professional reputation. I believe the heart of education is to educate the heart. The purpose of teaching is to instill in all students genuine, loving, lifelong eagerness to learn and foster a life of continual growth and development. It should encourage and assist students in developing the basic values needed for learning and living: self-discipline, self-confidence, self-worth, integrity, honesty, commitment, perseverance, responsibility, pursuit of excellence, emotional courage, creativity, imagination, humility, and compassion for others. In April, 1993, I began to share ME on the internet: my personal and professional rites of passage, my beliefs about the nature and purpose of an education, a commemoration of student learning and achievement, my successful and not so successful experiences, a proclamation of faith in students, and a celebration of teaching. These electronic sharings are called “Random Thoughts”. There are now over 1000 of them floating out there in cyberspace. The first 185, which chronicles the beginnings of my journey, have been published as collections in three volumes, RANDOM THOUGHTS: THE HUMANITY OF TEACHING, RANDOM THOUGHTS, II: TEACHING FROM THE HEART, RANDOM THOUGHTS, III: TEACHING WITH LOVE, and RANDOM THOUGHTS, IV: THE PASSION OF TEACHING. The chronicle of my continued journey is available in an Ebook on Amazon's Kindle in a volume I call FAITH, HOPE, LOVE: THE SPIRIT OF TEACHING. There a few more untitled volumes in the works..