From an “Awful” to an “Awe-Full” Classroom, XI

Couldn’t sleep.  I guess I was still thinking about a student I’ll call Dave into whom I bumped a few days ago on the back leg of my walk.   We had an interesting conversation that I’ll tell you about at a later day.  For now, he gave me more of an answer to the professor who kept throwing cyber-barbs at me.
 “You accuse me of having a point of view,” I replied to the professor’s criticisms.  “Of course, I do.  Who doesn’t?  None of us are automatons.  You certainly do.  You reveal yours by the emotional tone and language of your flame throwing email.  Admit it; we’re all subjective human beings.    Cold, calculating, disengaged, distanced objectivity is a myth.  So, my point of view is summarized by my ‘Teacher’s Oath.’  In this age of overwhelming and consuming vocational credentialism in academia, we need more than satisfying the requirements of a major just to get a good job; we need to understand we are in the people business as much if not more than we are in the credentialing business; we should have a classroom starting counterpoint of unconditional faith, hope, and love to acquire the means to live a good life as well.  They are clarity and truth and belief.  They’re the light that pushes away the darkness.  They erase the limits imposed on unseen unique potential.  They strip away everything that stands between us and seeing—and unconditionally nurturing—the sacredness, uniqueness, nobility, beauty, potential, and awesomeness of each student.  They don’t allow anyone to get lost in the clutter of tests, grades, GPAs, awards, assessments, and recognitions.”
“There is a yiddish saying, ‘fun gornish gibt gornish.’  It means roughly ‘from nothing you’ll get nothing.’  So, what something comes from the nothing of poor mouthing or ridiculing any student behind her or his back?  Do you think such a negative attitude isn’t revealed in your actions, subtle or otherwise?  Where’s the morality in treating so many as if they’ve passed their ‘use by’ date?  What positives do you find in treating these less than stellar students as the Rodney Dangerfields of academia, giving them no respect?  What uplifting is achieved if your expressed purpose is to go into class, as I personally knew some of my colleagues intended and did, to ‘cull out the herd?’  What kind of excitement do we have if we believe we’re going into that classroom to face a hoard of those we judge to be the unwanted ‘don’t belongs.’   How do you look for, find, and save someone you already have surrendered that person as a lost ‘unprepared?’   How much true focus do we have on those whom we view as distractions from more important things?    How much effort do you exert for those whom you say you don’t have the time.  Tell me the benefits of ignoring those who too many brand as inferior ‘they’re letting anyone in?’  Who is going to walk that extra mile for those condemned as ‘hopeless?’  Is denigration and demeaning and blame creating the best of conditions for learning we can create for the majority of students?   Is forsaking all but the supposed best the only way forward?
“We all tell ourselves and others about how we got where we are.  I know I do.  All I’m asking is:  have you rewritten the story of how you got here, do you really believe you got here on your own, what can you do for those who are not there yet, how much is not enough or enough or too much, who is not a vital piece of the future; which student’s life is not precious; who should be cast out; who is not education’s purpose and meaning personified?  Do you know how easy it is for all this to remain abstract?  Do you know that the way in which we tell our own stories to ourselves and to other, as well as the language we use, has a huge influence on how we see other people’s potential, what we look at and hear about their inspiration and motivation and ability and potential—or lack thereof?  Are those students out there strangers whose stories we don’t know or don’t care to know or aren’t curious about?  What would your story be like if ‘hard work’ and ‘good fortune’ and ‘lucky breaks’ were replaced with ‘unequal advantages?’   Instead of pointing blaming fingers, maybe we should show up in community that what would shred the thin veneer of deafening and blinding ‘strangerness’ so we can be consciously in sight and sound of each other.  Maybe, instead of throwing up our hands in frustration or gnashing our teeth in anger or twisting our face in writhing dread, we ought to look at ourselves and ask ourselves better questions and ask better questions of each of them.  Maybe we should think about what happens when we do all that all the time.”
“Remember, what we think and feel, we practice; and, what we practice, we become.  If you can practice a positive language, if you can practice leaning into unconditional acceptance and connection in the classroom on a regular basis, you’ll start to reexamine your memories, and then you’re going to be more likely to do those practice more automatically.  It’s what the psychologists call a ‘learned response.’  For me, it has closed the distances.  It has removed all the angst and divisiveness.  And, it has replaced them with a loving. hopeful, supportive, encouraging, joyful, meaningful, purposeful, and ‘awe-full’ engagement.”
“Now, I understand that one of the hardest things to do in class is to stay in community when you feel a surge of agitation, disappointment, frustration, and despair.  What nourishes my spirit when I’m getting a feeling of being drained, is each day to read and to swear to live consciously by the tenets of my ‘Teacher’s Oath.’  I also understand that there can be great fear—and risk—in inviting the unknown into one’s life; there can be a horrible and disturbing disorientation behind all that anxiety and frustration.  But, if we accept the assurances offered by the ‘hard evidence’ of the scientific research on learning, we can see that no student is irreversibly a slacker;  we can see potential ‘human becomings’ rather than fixed ‘human beings’ in a class; we can move to a rhythm of wondrousness in the classroom; we can offer unconditional understanding, sympathy, compassion, caring, and kindness.  You know, I’ve been in education for all but the first five years of my life:  as a student in kindergarten, elementary school, junior high school, high school, college, and graduate school:  as a TA and part-time instructor; and, finally as a college professor for 46 years until I had to retire.  And, I can tell you that for me as a student and as a professor, the finest moments were the ones that had nothing to do with tests, grades, GPAs, degrees, titles, grants, publications, and recognitions; they weren’t ones you could really put your fingers on; they weren’t ones that you could assess and quantify—or, perhaps, even explain.”
“But, how to describe what I call those ‘you just don’t ask’ moments.  I like the serendipitous words ‘mysterious’ and ‘inexplicable,’ though so many academics gnash their teeth and contort their faces at the sounding of those words because they supposedly so go against the grain and are such an anathema to academics’ demand for objectivity and ‘hard evidence.’  Most academics love, have a lust for, answers, closure, resolution, clarity, certainty.   They live within imagined stereotypes, generalities, and labels that seems to conveniently and comfortably—and safely— explain everything about students.  Yet, the more we see and listen to each student, the closer we come to each of them, the more we see each is a proverbial “exception to the rule.”  Heck, if we saw and listened, we’d see that there are so many exceptions to the rule, the rule would be obliterated.  And so, the more we accept ambivalence, surrender to contradictions, are unafraid of paradoxes and seeming inconsistencies in both each student and ourselves, and almost everything else, we tolerate and become comfortable with ambiguity, not to feel the insatiable urge to make the classroom “unmysterious” and explicable.   I don’t truly know why I had the epiphany when I had it; I don’t know why I responded to it as I did; I don’t know why I accepted having had cancer as a gift as I did; I don’t know why I was uplifted by my cerebral hemorrhage and why being a “walking 5% miracle” made such a dramatic impact on my outlook on teaching in particular and life in general.  I do know this.  Each experience, and others, determined the course of my life; each proved to be a great gift to my aspirations; each readied me more and more to go into the ever deeper inner recesses of myself where I was wont to go, not knowing what I would come up against, and have a conversation with myself about things I hadn’t known or wanted to know, to see and to listen to and to face up to what I had buried, rationalized away, ignored, but which was that which was holding me back from reaching my full potential as both a teacher and human being.  And, it wasn’t as terrifying as I feared.  To the contrary, I was humbled, stood in awe and in wonder, before the inexplicable mystery of it all.  And, I understood how subjective all of our views—me, colleagues, students, everyone—of reality really is and how we have the power to choose to change our view of ourselves and others.”
“With your indulgence, I’m going back to something I shared almost six years ago to the day.  To quote myself, ‘What’s that saying about what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger? Maybe, then, we all too often don’t give thanks for the unwanted challenges, altered courses, and to things that turn our world upside down. After all, if you can’t hit the curve balls, you’ll sure as hell will strike out. Maybe, then again, we ought to give thanks for such unseen blessing, discovering that we can come out okay because bearing the burden and consequence, and facing down adversity, we emerge tougher and better than ever, able to be more, believe more, have faith more, have hope more, do more, be in community with others more, and imagine more.’”
“So, you see, I have come to believe in mystery and the inexplicable, and to trust them.  I’ve been close to too many students, read too many journal entries, had too many small talk and serious conversations, read too many of their “how I feel today” words, and have had too many unexpected personal experiences not to find that these two words, full of hints and guesses, bring full meaning into the lives of  those human beings in the classroom.   And, as such, I’ve found that each person is a mixture of the penetrable and impenetrable to reason, of the expected and surprise, of the seen and unseen, of the known and unknown, of the aware and unaware.    I  mean, tell me, why  is that when a hard and fast formula doesn’t fully solve and explain each student taken individually, we call that person “an exception to the rule?”  And, a sensitivity to this mixture, unseen in skewing impersonal percentage and stick-figure stereotype and cardboard generalization and flattened labelling, is essential for according to each student dignity and respect and nobility and sacredness and uniqueness, for being hospitably….and patiently….and generously…. open to and welcoming and seeing and embracing and supporting and encouraging and forgiving and listening to each student, for evaluating our feelings in terms of empathy and faith and hope and love and caring and kindness and compassion, for judging our reactions to what is happening around and before us in terms of focused and keen acknowledgement of the humanity and uniqueness and sacredness of each student in order for us to be human:  taking nothing and no one for granted; never treating anyone casually; never thinking anyone is less than phenomenal.”
“Now, I am not talking about dreamy head-in-the-clouds optimism or wispy gossamers of  assurances that everything will turn out okay or oozing beliefs that everything will be perfect.   I’m talking about a feet-on-the-ground struggle supported by insights from the finding of scientific research on learning.  And, yeah, it’s not a piece of cake.  It’s a struggle.  I’m talking about struggling to get students to believe I am sincere.  It’s a sweaty and achy struggle to rip out the restricting brambles of self-deprecation and fears.   So, yeah, it’s  a struggle to resist and to defy ‘ah, me’ pessimism and frustration.  It’s a struggle to be understanding rather than agitated when things inevitably don’t go as you wish and expect.  I’m talking about struggling to be continually empathetic, supportive and encouraging.  It’s a struggle not to throw up your hands and walk away with an ‘I give up.’  I’m talking about struggling to be committed, to remain determined, to continue to persevere.  I’m talking about being realistic, about seeing each student as she or he is, about who she or he could become, about who she or he might become, and about who she or he is afraid to chance becoming all at once.  Doing all that is a struggle, a struggle to tell each student what I see, a struggle to help each student see as I see, struggle to see all the new possibilities and opportunities, struggle to make that struggle worthwhile, struggle to make that struggle exciting, struggle to fill that struggle with joyfulness.  I’m talking about a struggle to make all that into realities.  And, that is why I say teaching is not easy, but oh so joyous.”
Louis
This entry was posted in Random Thoughts by Louis Schmier. Bookmark the permalink.

About Louis Schmier

LOUIS SCHMIER “Every student should have a person who wants to help him or her help himself or herself become the person he or she is capable of becoming, and I’ll be damned if I am ever going to let one human being fall through the cracks in my classes without a fight.” How about a snapshot of myself. But, what shall I tell you about me? Something personal? Something philosophical? Something pedagogical? Something scholarly? Nah, I'll dispense with that resume stuff. Since I believe everything we do starts from who we are inside, what we believe, what we perceive, and what we do is an extension of ourselves, how about if I first say some things about myself. Then, maybe, I can ease into other things. My name is Louis Schmier. The first name rhymes with phooey, the last with beer. I am a 76 year old - in body, but not in mind or spirit - born and bred New Yorker who came south in 1963. I met by angelic bride, Susie, on a reluctant blind date at Chapel Hill. We've been married now going on 51 years. We have two marvelous sons. One is a VP at Samsung in San Francisco. The other is an artist with food and is an executive chef at a restaurant in Nashville, Tn. And, they have given us three grandmunchkins upon whom we dote a bit. I power walk 7 miles every other early morning. That’s my essential meditative “Just to …” time. On the other days, I exercise with weights to keep my upper body in shape. I am an avid gardener. I love to cook on my wok. Loving to work with my hands as well as with my heart and mind, I built a three room master complex addition to the house. And, I am a “fixer-upper” who allows very few repairmen to step across the threshold. Oh, by the way, I received my A.B. from then Adelphi College, my M.A. from St. John's University, and my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I have been teaching at Valdosta State University in Georgia since 1967. Having retired reluctantly in December, 2012, I currently hold the rank of Professor of History, Emeritus. I prefer the title, “Teacher”. Twenty-five years ago, I had what I consider an “epiphany”. It changed my understanding of myself. I stopped professoring and gave up scholarly research and publication to devote all my time and energy to student. My teaching has taken on the character of a mission. It is a journey that has taken me from seeing only myself to a commitment to vision larger than myself and my self-interest. I now believe that being an educator means I am in the “people business”. I now believe that the most essential element in education is caring about people. Education without caring, without a real human connection, is as viable as a person with a brain but without a heart. So, when I am asked what I teach, I answer unhesitatingly, “I teach students”. I am now more concerned with the students’ learning than my teaching, more concerned with the students as human beings than with the subject. I am more concerned with reaching for students than reaching the height of professional reputation. I believe the heart of education is to educate the heart. The purpose of teaching is to instill in all students genuine, loving, lifelong eagerness to learn and foster a life of continual growth and development. It should encourage and assist students in developing the basic values needed for learning and living: self-discipline, self-confidence, self-worth, integrity, honesty, commitment, perseverance, responsibility, pursuit of excellence, emotional courage, creativity, imagination, humility, and compassion for others. In April, 1993, I began to share ME on the internet: my personal and professional rites of passage, my beliefs about the nature and purpose of an education, a commemoration of student learning and achievement, my successful and not so successful experiences, a proclamation of faith in students, and a celebration of teaching. These electronic sharings are called “Random Thoughts”. There are now over 1000 of them floating out there in cyberspace. The first 185, which chronicles the beginnings of my journey, have been published as collections in three volumes, RANDOM THOUGHTS: THE HUMANITY OF TEACHING, RANDOM THOUGHTS, II: TEACHING FROM THE HEART, RANDOM THOUGHTS, III: TEACHING WITH LOVE, and RANDOM THOUGHTS, IV: THE PASSION OF TEACHING. The chronicle of my continued journey is available in an Ebook on Amazon's Kindle in a volume I call FAITH, HOPE, LOVE: THE SPIRIT OF TEACHING. There a few more untitled volumes in the works..