Soft Teaching, II

I was all spiffed up,—uncomfortable noose of a tie, sports jacket, non-jeans slacks—small talking, waiting for the dining room doors to open. It was the community’s “Law Enforcement Appreciation Dinner” sponsored by the Rotary Club. Someone, passed by me, whom I’ll call Jim (not necessarily his real name or gender), stopped. turned around, looked at me, asked quietly, “Are you Dr. Schmier?”

“Last time I looked, but you have the better of me,” I said, not knowing to whom I was talking.

Suddenly small talk became big. He gave me his name and blind-sided me—in a good way—with something like, “You don’t remember me, but do I remember you. I was in class a long time ago, almost twenty years ago. What a class. It started with those trust falls off the desk and never let up through the whole term. I couldn’t believe you weren’t going to lecture or give us tests. Those triads, projects, and daily journals were something else. I want you to know that I’m here because of you. Every now and then, when I’m down and need to get myself going, I pull out my class notebook and read one of those inspirational ‘Words for the Day’ you wrote on the board at the beginning of class and we talked about as it related to the lives of the people we were studying and our personal lives. But, the one thing I remember over and over and over again, is the time I told you that I was not a great student. You didn’t walk away from me like a lot of others had done. All you did was to ask me if I was a great person. When I said yes, you softly whispered with a caring force, ‘Then, why don’t both of us work hard to partner up and get that great person to help you become the great student you can be and a great whatever you want to become.’

As I stood stunned, he went on to say something like (quickly had gone over to the bar to scribble his words on a napkin), “I never forget how that got to me. It turned me around. You had a quiet, focused, demanding softness about you for each of us. Somehow, you made time to see and hear each of us. I opened up to you in those journals like I did with no one else because I knew I could trust you and that you really cared. You just helped me understand that I didn’t have to believe my thoughts and feelings, that I could break those bad habits of doubting myself if I wanted to, that I could defeat that defeatist attitude that I had for so long, and that I could respect myself. It took a lot of work, hard work every day for both of us to do all that, a lot of hard work. But, I really got to enjoy watching me do the things I thought I could never do as you helped me see that I could. I saw possibilities inside me I never imagined. You helped me push my expectations of myself beyond where they had been stuck. That gave me a direction and momentum. All through the class, you were by my side with what you called those ’little big words like faith, hope, and love,’ those soft smiles, little nods, and quiet encouragements that helped me take those scary first steps to where I am now. And, you know something? I learned to work hard to treat my employees the same ‘soft’ way. I think I owe you a mountain of thanks for that.”

As he walked off to join others, I wondered if he had been eavesdropping on my conversation in the streets with Sam two weeks earlier. All through the dinner and in the days that followed, Jim’s words whispered in my ears: “Caring force,” “demanding softness,” “hard work every day for both of us.” I kept wondering if there was a pattern. Saturday, as I was meditatively walking the morning streets, it came to me: It’s the enormous power of mindfulness directed by unconditional engaging and involved faith, hope, and love. It’s the hard work of seeing with “soft eyes,” hearing with “soft ears,” and feeling with a “soft heart” beneath the surface of stereotype, generality, preconception, and label to each student’s hidden quality and unique potential. To put it another way, one of the great insights I had from “soft teaching” was that students weren’t who most faculty thought they were.

But, “soft” certainly is one of those words, like “love,” academics can’t get past. It causes so many of them to wince, gasp, and throw up their hands in horror as if it’s a threat to the intellectual integrity of academia. To them, it’s the leader of the insidious invading horde of wusses assaulting the Ivory Tower: “new age,””push-over,” “patsy,” “mushy,” “bosh,” “sappy,” “lovey-dovey,” “easy,” “coddling,” “wishy-washy,” “sentimental,” “touchy-feely,” “subjectivity,” “fluff.” Nevertheless, thinking of this businessman’s terms, “quiet, focused, demanding softness” and “a lot of hard work,” I don’t think “soft” has anything to do with that which is contrary to “rigor” and “demanding.” I’m going to be hard-nosed and rigorously stick with “soft.” if for no other reason than over the past couple of decades that living that word, as the last couple of weeks has reminded me, had really stuck with me as an essential and very effective teaching and learning tool.

Let me give you five hard facts about “soft teaching.” First, as someone said, “feeling are the first facts.” You can choose to let them be a bad master or a good servant. You can let them limit you with a sense of false safety or use them to break out in a daring escape for freedom. To do that, however, you have to ask yourself a very hard introspective question as I had to do, “Why do I feel what I feel about myself, what I do, and the students?”  Second, “soft teaching” has a dramatic impact on your inner climate, the inner climate of each student, and the climate of the class community as a whole. “Soft teaching” nudges you into becoming a compassionate and attentive revolutionary, certainly a rascally iconoclast, urged on by a “who are you” curiosity about each student and a supportive and encouraging “I care about you” for each student. Third, “soft teaching” also asks, “What does a GPA, grade, score, or award really describe?” “Does the GPA, grade, score, or award tell the whole story, the human story, of a student?” “What is this person capable of becoming? and “What is the ultimate reality of the classroom.” A fourth hard fact about “soft teaching” is that its a habit breaker; it opens your eyes, ears, and heart to the grandeur that is each student. It forces you to slow down; it sharpens an engaged attentiveness, alertness, awareness of the humanity of each student. You can listen to each voice; see each face. It is infectious as you embody it and it radiates from you. And, that brings me to the fifth and final hard fact about “soft teaching”: if you want to be alive and keep your flame burning, if you want ignite a student’s flame, see and listen to each student, engage with and be involved in each student, never loose your sense of wonder and amazement at how extraordinary each student, not just the honors student, is, if you see, hear, and get to know her or him. It will whet your appetite for more and more—and more.

Soft eyes, soft ears, and a soft heart. Faith, hope, and love. Caring and kindness. They help us to understand that all these facts and questions they stimulate matter because we teachers have a moral mission to serve and help make things better for each student. They help us see details or perspectives that we’ve never noticed before or maybe even chose to ignore, that is, the humanity of each student and the need to know each student’s story. You see, when you don’t have information about each student’s story, you don’t have knowledge about that student; when you don’t have knowledge about her or him, you really can’t make wise, much less informed, choices on how to deal with her or him; when you don’t have that wisdom, you can’t truly be caring. So, they don’t accept blindness or deafness to that which is going on around you,

These attitudes, these feelings only require empathy. To have empathy, however, you have to have humanity and connection. To have humanity and connection, you feel that each student counts, that each student matters, that you treasure each student, that you appreciate each student, that each student is something in your heart, that you include and nurture, and that you never give a demeaning message of disregard.

As Sam, Jim, and others reveal, That makes these outlooks a presence that is more powerful than absence. Their openness opens a new way to think, feel, and do. They ask you to explore beneath the surface and mine for the hidden gold of unique potential that lies in each person. You know Yeats said, “In dreams begins responsibility.” Therefore, there’s nothing soft about them, nothing passive, nothing sluggish. They’re synonyms for caring engagement, kindly connection, faithful support, hopeful encouragement, and loving understanding.

For me, that makes “soft teaching” the “new hard.”

Louis

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts by Louis Schmier. Bookmark the permalink.

About Louis Schmier

LOUIS SCHMIER “Every student should have a person who wants to help him or her help himself or herself become the person he or she is capable of becoming, and I’ll be damned if I am ever going to let one human being fall through the cracks in my classes without a fight.” How about a snapshot of myself. But, what shall I tell you about me? Something personal? Something philosophical? Something pedagogical? Something scholarly? Nah, I'll dispense with that resume stuff. Since I believe everything we do starts from who we are inside, what we believe, what we perceive, and what we do is an extension of ourselves, how about if I first say some things about myself. Then, maybe, I can ease into other things. My name is Louis Schmier. The first name rhymes with phooey, the last with beer. I am a 76 year old - in body, but not in mind or spirit - born and bred New Yorker who came south in 1963. I met by angelic bride, Susie, on a reluctant blind date at Chapel Hill. We've been married now going on 51 years. We have two marvelous sons. One is a VP at Samsung in San Francisco. The other is an artist with food and is an executive chef at a restaurant in Nashville, Tn. And, they have given us three grandmunchkins upon whom we dote a bit. I power walk 7 miles every other early morning. That’s my essential meditative “Just to …” time. On the other days, I exercise with weights to keep my upper body in shape. I am an avid gardener. I love to cook on my wok. Loving to work with my hands as well as with my heart and mind, I built a three room master complex addition to the house. And, I am a “fixer-upper” who allows very few repairmen to step across the threshold. Oh, by the way, I received my A.B. from then Adelphi College, my M.A. from St. John's University, and my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I have been teaching at Valdosta State University in Georgia since 1967. Having retired reluctantly in December, 2012, I currently hold the rank of Professor of History, Emeritus. I prefer the title, “Teacher”. Twenty-five years ago, I had what I consider an “epiphany”. It changed my understanding of myself. I stopped professoring and gave up scholarly research and publication to devote all my time and energy to student. My teaching has taken on the character of a mission. It is a journey that has taken me from seeing only myself to a commitment to vision larger than myself and my self-interest. I now believe that being an educator means I am in the “people business”. I now believe that the most essential element in education is caring about people. Education without caring, without a real human connection, is as viable as a person with a brain but without a heart. So, when I am asked what I teach, I answer unhesitatingly, “I teach students”. I am now more concerned with the students’ learning than my teaching, more concerned with the students as human beings than with the subject. I am more concerned with reaching for students than reaching the height of professional reputation. I believe the heart of education is to educate the heart. The purpose of teaching is to instill in all students genuine, loving, lifelong eagerness to learn and foster a life of continual growth and development. It should encourage and assist students in developing the basic values needed for learning and living: self-discipline, self-confidence, self-worth, integrity, honesty, commitment, perseverance, responsibility, pursuit of excellence, emotional courage, creativity, imagination, humility, and compassion for others. In April, 1993, I began to share ME on the internet: my personal and professional rites of passage, my beliefs about the nature and purpose of an education, a commemoration of student learning and achievement, my successful and not so successful experiences, a proclamation of faith in students, and a celebration of teaching. These electronic sharings are called “Random Thoughts”. There are now over 1000 of them floating out there in cyberspace. The first 185, which chronicles the beginnings of my journey, have been published as collections in three volumes, RANDOM THOUGHTS: THE HUMANITY OF TEACHING, RANDOM THOUGHTS, II: TEACHING FROM THE HEART, RANDOM THOUGHTS, III: TEACHING WITH LOVE, and RANDOM THOUGHTS, IV: THE PASSION OF TEACHING. The chronicle of my continued journey is available in an Ebook on Amazon's Kindle in a volume I call FAITH, HOPE, LOVE: THE SPIRIT OF TEACHING. There a few more untitled volumes in the works..