ABUNDANCE AND SCARCITY

Abundance.  I was thinking about abundance what with Thanksgiving being but a few days away.  I was also thinking of the “bah, humbug” Scrooge-like impoverishment of that professor’s attitude about whom I wrote last Thursday.  I always say that in the classroom, supported by such research as that of Chicago’s Anthony Byrk and Barbara Schneider that I just came across, there should be laid the foundations for three goals of attitude before anyone gets near the material to be learned:  break barriers, build bridges, forge community. All three are designed to begin to create what researchers call:  “relational trust,” that is, reliance on others and being open with others.   It’s an impersonal term for something that is very personal,  I prefer to call it “community.”  I know, “community” and “trust” arent’ words that sits well with most in academia.    Nevetheless, those words in action support and encourage; they create communication and connection; they take the grimness and fear out of learning; and, they feast on the too often hidden abundance in the classroom, in both each student and ourselves.  I’ve found it is so crucial to learning that, in the spirit of Abraham Mazlow, Ed Deci, Carol Dweck, Barbara Fredrickson, Teresa Amabile, Howard Gardner and others, I always took the first ten days to two weeks of class to engage students in “getting to know ya”  exercises to start the demolition of separateness and aloneness and strangerness, and to begin the construction of supporting and encouraging togetherness.  And, then, organizing the class in such a way that constantly and explicitly I made supporting and encouraging communication a major “how it works” theme throughout the class’s term.  As, I’ve said in the syllabus for the past 20 years:   “On the first day of class or so you and two others will create what  I call “Communities of Mutual Support and Encouragement.  You will create your own communities according to three rules:  (1)  Each person must be a stranger to each other; (20  Each community will be gender mixed unless the class makeup does not allow; (3)  Each community will be racially mixed unless the class makeup does not allow..You and the other two members of your Community will sit together in a little cluster facing each other.  In this class you’ll NEVER see the back of the head of the person in front of you simply because there is no front or back in this class. The governing principle of the Communities will be “one for all and all for one.” That is, you and the others in your Community will mutually support and encourage each other and work together as if you were one person.  I hope you will become friends, or like family, and learn to love each other.  You are not in competition with anyone else in the class.  This class is a cooperative “family” effort.  You will learn to respect, trust, support, and encourage other people.  You will learn to work with other people. You will learn to communicate with other people.  Remember ONE OF THE INVIOLABLE CLASS OPERATIONAL RULES:   YOU WILL SIT IN CLASS ALWAYS LOOKING AT EACH OTHER.  NO ONE WILL LOOK AT THE BACK OF THE NECK OF ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY.”

You see, the real scarcity in the classroom is not ability or potential; it is attitude.  It is an impoverishment of perception and assumption, a scarcity of notice, a short supply of attention, a dearth of faith, belief, hope, and love.  That scarcity weakens stamina and breeds the deadly diseases and infirmities of fear, anxiety, joylessness, disbelief, resignation, blindness, deafness, apathy, and a host of other killers of spirit.  That impoverishment is uneducating of all those in the classroom.  The idea of the power of the inner dynamics of emotions on performance is squashed with assault of being soft, squishy, irrational,sentimental tosh, and touchy-feely.  They’re accused of being alien in a place whose drivers are information, tests, grades, GPAs, scores, and credentials.  It is this myopia that leads to self-fulfilling prophecy because we don’t ask the right questions to deal with this drought.  We always ask the debilitating questions:  Is what were doing going to succeed?  What if it doesn’t work?  Where’s the time?  How are we going to grade it?  How will we be assessed?  What will others think?

We should be asking ourselves two questions:  What is the right thing to do?  What is required of us if we want to make a positive difference, a transforming difference, in someone’s life?  I’ve found that the answers to these questions brook no compromise, for lives are at stake.  They opened my eyes to the abundance within each of us, how to break free of the drought; and that to reeducate in the classroom you cast out the harbingers of blame and become a prophet of responsibility.  You belief.  You have faith.  You have hope.  You love.  You care.  You respect.  You trust.  You are respectful.  You are trustworthy.  You take the time and banish that thief of connection:  “busyness.”  You travel the galaxy of nurturing.     You do whatever it takes so that a student survives her or his greatest fear, her or his more defenseless and vulnerable moment,  her or his most unloved feeling.  You nurture unceasingly.  You show up for each of them time and time and time again.  You’re there time and time and time again.  You are loving beyond any assessment instrument.  You have an endurance for care.  You draw from a deep well of selfless serving.  You create a serum that kills all pernicious killers of spirit, self-esteem, and self-confidence.

What I am more than suggesting is challenging, painful, scary, time consuming, and difficult.  It means taking risks, become vulnerable.  It pushes to the brink of change.  It means doing a whole of things we’d rather not do.  It means we have stop blaming.  It means we have to close the distance.  It means becoming involved in the responsibility for others.It demands an investment of the heart.  Sure, it’s a lot easier to get a grant or bring to campus the latest dog and pony show from pedagogical or technological experts.
But, there is research demonstrating the emotional component in any classroom is both real and strong, and influential.  That is to say, if you’re truly interested in improving educational outcomes, read the research on “relational trust” or “community.”  The researchers found that if a classroom is full of strangers, they won’t trust each other.  You can throw a lot of state-of-the-art technology and pedagogy on them, but not much will change.  On the other hand, as has been my experience for two decades, if a classroom is full of people who respect and trust each other, who invest themselves in that which is communal, they will come into supporting and encouraging community; they will love each other, and you’re going to get great results.
Louis
This entry was posted in Random Thoughts by Louis Schmier. Bookmark the permalink.

About Louis Schmier

LOUIS SCHMIER “Every student should have a person who wants to help him or her help himself or herself become the person he or she is capable of becoming, and I’ll be damned if I am ever going to let one human being fall through the cracks in my classes without a fight.” How about a snapshot of myself. But, what shall I tell you about me? Something personal? Something philosophical? Something pedagogical? Something scholarly? Nah, I'll dispense with that resume stuff. Since I believe everything we do starts from who we are inside, what we believe, what we perceive, and what we do is an extension of ourselves, how about if I first say some things about myself. Then, maybe, I can ease into other things. My name is Louis Schmier. The first name rhymes with phooey, the last with beer. I am a 76 year old - in body, but not in mind or spirit - born and bred New Yorker who came south in 1963. I met by angelic bride, Susie, on a reluctant blind date at Chapel Hill. We've been married now going on 51 years. We have two marvelous sons. One is a VP at Samsung in San Francisco. The other is an artist with food and is an executive chef at a restaurant in Nashville, Tn. And, they have given us three grandmunchkins upon whom we dote a bit. I power walk 7 miles every other early morning. That’s my essential meditative “Just to …” time. On the other days, I exercise with weights to keep my upper body in shape. I am an avid gardener. I love to cook on my wok. Loving to work with my hands as well as with my heart and mind, I built a three room master complex addition to the house. And, I am a “fixer-upper” who allows very few repairmen to step across the threshold. Oh, by the way, I received my A.B. from then Adelphi College, my M.A. from St. John's University, and my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I have been teaching at Valdosta State University in Georgia since 1967. Having retired reluctantly in December, 2012, I currently hold the rank of Professor of History, Emeritus. I prefer the title, “Teacher”. Twenty-five years ago, I had what I consider an “epiphany”. It changed my understanding of myself. I stopped professoring and gave up scholarly research and publication to devote all my time and energy to student. My teaching has taken on the character of a mission. It is a journey that has taken me from seeing only myself to a commitment to vision larger than myself and my self-interest. I now believe that being an educator means I am in the “people business”. I now believe that the most essential element in education is caring about people. Education without caring, without a real human connection, is as viable as a person with a brain but without a heart. So, when I am asked what I teach, I answer unhesitatingly, “I teach students”. I am now more concerned with the students’ learning than my teaching, more concerned with the students as human beings than with the subject. I am more concerned with reaching for students than reaching the height of professional reputation. I believe the heart of education is to educate the heart. The purpose of teaching is to instill in all students genuine, loving, lifelong eagerness to learn and foster a life of continual growth and development. It should encourage and assist students in developing the basic values needed for learning and living: self-discipline, self-confidence, self-worth, integrity, honesty, commitment, perseverance, responsibility, pursuit of excellence, emotional courage, creativity, imagination, humility, and compassion for others. In April, 1993, I began to share ME on the internet: my personal and professional rites of passage, my beliefs about the nature and purpose of an education, a commemoration of student learning and achievement, my successful and not so successful experiences, a proclamation of faith in students, and a celebration of teaching. These electronic sharings are called “Random Thoughts”. There are now over 1000 of them floating out there in cyberspace. The first 185, which chronicles the beginnings of my journey, have been published as collections in three volumes, RANDOM THOUGHTS: THE HUMANITY OF TEACHING, RANDOM THOUGHTS, II: TEACHING FROM THE HEART, RANDOM THOUGHTS, III: TEACHING WITH LOVE, and RANDOM THOUGHTS, IV: THE PASSION OF TEACHING. The chronicle of my continued journey is available in an Ebook on Amazon's Kindle in a volume I call FAITH, HOPE, LOVE: THE SPIRIT OF TEACHING. There a few more untitled volumes in the works..